Rugby Australia has its Wallaroos head coach, and Scottish Rugby has a grievance. Sione Fukofuka was named on Tuesday as the Wallaroos' new head coach through to the end of the home Rugby World Cup in 2029 — eight days after being released from his Scotland contract on compassionate grounds.
The speed of it did not go unnoticed in Edinburgh. Scottish Rugby put out a statement that stopped short of an accusation but made the timeline the point.
"This is an unusual situation in so far as we released Sione on compassionate grounds a week ago," the statement said. "Whilst we always expected Sione to work again and would never wish to hold anyone back, we were surprised to learn of this news so quickly."
The governing body also confirmed the commercial resolution: "We have a release agreement in place with Sione which will allow him to take up his post at the start of 2027, and an agreement in place with Rugby Australia who will pay Scottish Rugby an agreed fee. Our focus is on our new coaching team and our national team ahead of WXV where preparations are going well."
That is the shape of the deal. Fukofuka had agreed non-compete terms as a condition of his exit, so Rugby Australia paid a fee and accepted he will not start until January 2027. He will not be in the coaches box when the Wallaroos meet Scotland during the WXV Global Series in September and October — an awkwardness the delay conveniently removes.
Fukofuka framed his move around family, and led his own statement with thanks rather than ambition.
"I would like to express my gratitude to Scottish Rugby for their understanding of my family situation and desire to return home to Australia," he said. "Although a difficult decision to leave the Scottish role, this opportunity allows me to be in Sydney closer to my family. I wish the players and staff all the best for the future."
On the job itself, the 47-year-old pointed at the structural change underneath it.
"I know many of the players and coaches well from my time in the Queensland and Australian systems and, as we transition to a fulltime program this year, the opportunity for growth is enormous," Fukofuka said. "The opportunity to align the 7s and 15s programs and work closely with Reg Tayler is an exciting prospect and one I am very much looking forward to."
Fukofuka began coaching as a teacher in the Queensland schools system, spent three years as a Wallaroos assistant from 2021, then took over the United States women's side in 2024-25 before moving to Scotland last December. His Scotland tenure ran five matches and one win, over Wales, and a fifth-place Six Nations finish. With the USA he was credited with lifting professional standards even though the Eagles missed the 2025 World Cup quarter-finals — a tournament in which they drew 31-31 with the Wallaroos.
Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh cast the appointment as the end of a long process rather than an opportunistic grab.
"An enormous amount of planning and effort has gone into remodelling and invigorating the Wallaroos program as we look towards the home Rugby World Cup in Australia in 2029 and we are delighted Sione will lead the squad through this important phase in the position of Head Coach," Waugh said. "Sione is a leader with a comprehensive knowledge of Australian and international systems and a reputation for creating world-class team environments and standards."
Fukofuka will report to Tim Walsh, appointed last month as director of women's high performance, who made the case in different terms.
"Sione is a pioneer among international coaches of Pasifika heritage and a proud product of the Australian rugby coaching system," Walsh said. "He is highly regarded by players and staff alike for his connection, team culture and driving high standards within the daily training environment. He is well-positioned to lead the Wallaroos into a new era and a generational opportunity presented by the home Rugby World Cup in 2029."
Rugby Australia had been without a permanent Wallaroos coach since Jo Yapp left last year, and its search stalled when Canadian target Kevin Roeut walked away.
The urgency is easy to read off the results. The Wallaroos are ranked ninth in the world, went out of the 2025 World Cup at the quarter-final stage and lost all three Pacific Four Series matches in April — 24-0 to Canada, 33-12 to the USA and 40-5 to New Zealand. Six Tests remain this year, starting with the side's 100th Test, against New Zealand in Auckland on August 22, under a transition coaching team.

