The Welsh Rugby Union board has refused to stand down and confirmed that cutting Wales to three professional clubs is settled, issuing a lengthy statement on Saturday morning that also condemned personal attacks on its staff and directors.
All 11 board members put their names to it. The central line is financial, and blunt: there is "no realistic prospect of the game generating enough revenue to fund four professional teams competitively beyond 2028". The available finances and the player base, the union argues, "are spread too thinly across four teams to give any of them what they need to succeed".
The statement lands at the end of a week of open revolt. Hayley Parsons, the former Cardiff director, told WalesOnline on Thursday that the board should resign, saying it lacked rugby and commercial expertise. Wales dual-code great Jonathan Davies backed her the following day and called for an interim board.
"This board has been in place for three years and it's failed to deliver," Davies said.
Rob Regan, a former chief operating officer of Principality Building Society, has since put himself forward to sit on an alternative interim board. Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart has called on chief executive Abi Tierney to resign, and Scarlets managing director Jon Daniels has demanded the union publish the evidence behind its decision.
The WRU did not respond to any of them by name. It responded to the tone.
"Whatever your views about what is best for the future of Welsh rugby, there is no justification for the highly personal insults and attacks that have been recently directed at members of our staff and at the WRU Board," the statement read.
It went on: "The WRU Board recognises the significance of the changes proposed, and we have and will always welcome constructive input. We are not deaf to criticism, but it has to come with credible alternatives. The kinds of personal insults and attacks that have become far too commonplace are unacceptable."
The board also set out what it weighed before affirming the decision — population and accessibility, rugby infrastructure, financial sustainability, player pathways, sporting performance, fan support and heritage — and pointed to an extraordinary general meeting earlier this year at which member clubs were briefed and able to raise questions.
It closed with an appeal for calm. "As a small rugby nation, we need to work together – continuous cycles of unwarranted and unnecessary infighting will only make us weaker."
Under the proposed model, Cardiff and the Dragons have first refusal on the capital and eastern licences, leaving the Ospreys and Scarlets contesting a single western place. Neither has any interest in a merger.
The Ospreys went public with their case on 12 August in a defiant board statement that disputed the destination rather than the need for reform.
"Welsh rugby needs reform and change, the Ospreys have never disputed that. What we dispute is the destination," the board said. "The WRU's proposed move to three professional men's teams would leave west Wales, one of the most passionate rugby regions in the game, represented by a single side. The Ospreys do not accept that outcome as inevitable, or as the right one."
On the fight with their neighbours, the Swansea-based club was equally direct. "The Ospreys and Scarlets are, for now, in direct competition for the west Wales regional licence. We're not going to pretend otherwise. Our answer to that competition is straightforward: invest, build, compete, win."
The statement came alongside an update on the multi-million pound St Helen's redevelopment and a summer recruitment drive that has brought in former Wallabies captain Liam Wright from the Queensland Reds, centre Lalakai Foketi, utility back Lawson Creighton from the Waratahs and Dan John from Exeter, with Marika Koroibete expected shortly.
"There is real momentum around the club," Ospreys director Roger Blyth said. "St Helen's is taking shape, supporters have backed us in significant numbers, we have strengthened the playing squad and there is growing confidence across the business."
Head coach Mark Jones framed it in playing terms. "We want to compete, we want to keep developing players and we want to give our supporters a team that represents this region with pride."
The Scarlets, who finished 14th in the United Rugby Championship last season and appointed Nigel Davies as director of rugby, have made their own pledge to supporters. "It is our mission, as it has always been, to be at the forefront of a strong, meaningful and sustainable future for rugby in west Wales. Our focus remains unchanged and unhindered," the club said.
Removing the board would take resignations, or an extraordinary general meeting triggered by 10 per cent of the WRU's 282 member clubs followed by a vote. Swansea Council's High Court challenge remains live. The union and all four current clubs have agreed to meet later this year to begin shaping how licensing under the new model will work.

