The Federal Court hearing of Melbourne Rebels' $30 million damages claim against Rugby Australia opened in Sydney on Monday with a series of pointed allegations that the governing body drafted a secret strategy to protect rugby's traditional heartland states at the expense of Victoria. The plan, called "Winning Rugby" and adopted by Rugby Australia's board in July 2023, was not disclosed to the Rebels' own administration until after the lawsuit had been filed, the court was told.
Bernard Quinn KC, leading the Rebels' legal team, framed the allegation in his opening address on 18 May 2026 with language designed to land outside the court room as much as inside it.
"RA prioritised and preferenced the interest of the clubs in the heartlands of rugby in Australia," Quinn told the court, alleging the governing body had "let the Rebels descend into voluntary administration" while pursuing its undisclosed plan.
The Rebels were dissolved in May 2024 after Rugby Australia declined to extend their Super Rugby Pacific licence. The decision left Australian rugby with four professional teams across NSW, Queensland, the ACT and Western Australia. Melbourne, Australia's second largest city, has been without a professional rugby union side since.
Quinn's core claim is that the strategic decision was made well before the public collapse of the franchise. The "Winning Rugby" document, in the Rebels' framing, was drafted to identify clubs in the rugby strongholds of New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT as priority assets to be preserved, with Melbourne effectively flagged as expendable. The Rebels' executives, players and administrators were not told the plan existed.
"Winning Rugby was not disclosed to any of the clubs," Quinn said. "No one at the Rebels knew what it was until after this case commenced."
The disclosure point matters. If the Rebels can establish that a board-adopted strategic policy materially shaped their financial fate without their knowledge, the legal foundation for the $30 million damages claim and outstanding debt coverage hardens considerably. The plaintiffs' theory of the case rests on demonstrating that Rugby Australia's decisions were not the consequence of the Rebels' financial distress but a cause of it.
Quinn's most striking line was reserved for the relationships between the parties before the dispute spilled into court. The Rebels' barrister suggested that, until the franchise's collapse, all sides had presented themselves as a single, collaborative ecosystem.
"The parties who find themselves now facing each other in court ... weren't at loggerheads," Quinn said. "They were for most part collaborating to achieve elite sporting objectives."
For Rugby Australia, represented by counsel acting on instructions from chief executive Phil Waugh and chair Dan Herbert, the defence rests on a different version of events. The governing body's filing argues that it was misled about the Rebels' true financial position from 2018 onwards, and would never have permitted the club's continued participation in Super Rugby Pacific had it understood the depth of the deficit.
The legal stakes are real. A loss in the case would force Rugby Australia into a damages payout of more than $30 million at a moment when the organisation is also negotiating broadcast rights, preparing the Wallabies for a home World Cup in 2027, and fighting separate code-wide concerns about declining participation and reduced state union revenue. A win, by contrast, would close the door on the most expensive legal liability the governing body has faced in its history.
The court will hear evidence on the timing and authorship of the "Winning Rugby" document, communications between Rugby Australia's board and the Rebels' executive, and the financial forecasts the franchise had submitted to the governing body in the months before the licence revocation. Phil Waugh, the former Wallabies flanker who took over as Rugby Australia CEO in 2023, is expected to give evidence. So is Dan Herbert, the former Wallabies centre who replaced Hamish McLennan as chair in late 2023.
The case is scheduled to run for several weeks. Whatever the verdict, the testimony around "Winning Rugby" is unlikely to be the last word on the politics of Australian rugby's geography. Sir John Kirwan's remarks earlier in the week — that the southern hemisphere's elite competition needs to be torn up and rebuilt around provincial tribalism — will sound, to anyone listening in Melbourne, like an idea that arrived a decade too late.

