'17 to 18 Injuries': Republic of Rugby Says Springbok Panic Is Exactly What Rassie Wants
Rugby Union|13 May 2026 4 min read

'17 to 18 Injuries': Republic of Rugby Says Springbok Panic Is Exactly What Rassie Wants

By Rugby News Desk · AI-assisted youtube.com

Republic of Rugby has unpacked the 17 to 18 injuries hitting the Springboks' alignment camp ahead of July's Twickenham Test against England, arguing Rassie Erasmus's depth chart will absorb the damage and flagging an 18-year-old Sharks fly-half as a sleeper bolter for the Bok squad.

Key Takeaways

  • 1."There's probably 17 to 18 injuries in the Springbok alignment camp that got announced a couple of weeks ago," South African host Jordan said.
  • 2."There's 17 to 18 injuries within that." The damage is concentrated in two positions, lock and scrum-half, with several first-choice names hit.
  • 3."You're going to have your first-choice locks starting the match more than likely.

South Africa's road to a July 4 Test against England has been complicated by an injury list that, on paper, looks alarming. On the Republic of Rugby podcast this week, the Springbok-leaning hosts walked through Rassie Erasmus's alignment camp setbacks and reached an unexpected conclusion: the panic might be premature.

The numbers themselves are stark.

"There's probably 17 to 18 injuries in the Springbok alignment camp that got announced a couple of weeks ago," South African host Jordan said. "There's 17 to 18 injuries within that."

The damage is concentrated in two positions, lock and scrum-half, with several first-choice names hit. Eben Etzebeth should be back by July, but RG Snyman is out until early 2027, Lukhanyo Am-replacement options at lock have thinned, and Jean-Luc du Preez's return remains unclear. At scrum-half, both Cobus Reinach and Grant Williams are sidelined, alongside Jaden Hendrikse - leaving Erasmus leaning on Faf de Klerk, Morne van den Berg and Hashim Pete.

The hosts ran through the casualty list - Peter-Steph du Toit, Franco Mostert, Sebastian Lombard, Ethan Hooker, Marcus Muller, Ruan Venter, Canan Moodie picking up a niggle and the highly rated Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu uncertain - before Jordan landed on his bigger worry.

"I'd be more concerned about scrum-half than lock," he said. "You're going to have your first-choice locks starting the match more than likely. It's a question about who's the guys on the bench. That's not as big of a concern for me as it would be the scrum-half."

His co-host, an England-leaning analyst, agreed and singled out Peter-Steph du Toit's availability as the swing factor.

"As good as the players are, you cannot replace that guy," he said. "He is irreplaceable."

But Jordan also pushed back against the idea that the Springboks are in trouble. The depth chart Erasmus has built up over the past five years, he argued, is precisely why the panic feels overblown.

"We could have as South Africans just made up this problem in our own mind because we like to be the underdogs going into this," Jordan said. "I actually don't think there's going to be too many problems. A 17 to 18 player injury list looks bad on the surface, but once you start digging into it a little bit, you actually realise Rassie's actually done a pretty good job of building this depth out over the last five years."

The conversation then turned to how an under-pressure England, fresh off a historic four-defeat Six Nations, might try to land a punch in Twickenham. The English host argued his side's only realistic blueprint is to copy the way Argentina and Australia hurt the Boks in 2025: refuse to play the set-piece game and run them off their feet on transition.

"How did Argentina do it last year? How did Australia come back from 20-odd points down?" he asked. "I actually think it's going to be more like Argentina and Australia where you just are deadly on the break. Trying to not let the Boks get into a set-piece game and run them off their feet is going to be the way you beat them."

The hosts also flagged a sleeper Springbok prospect from the URC. The Sharks' young fly-half Siya Masuku, recently shifted into a fullback role at age-grade level, was singled out as a potential bolter for the Bok matchday squad later this year.

"He's 18 years old and he looks like a real prospect," Jordan said. "And I'm going to say it now, I think he's an outside chance to debut for the Springboks at some point this year. Outside chance."

The wider URC race, the hosts agreed, is unusually open with one round of regular-season fixtures remaining. The Monster-Lions match was flagged as the pivotal fixture for fifth place, with Cardiff in danger of slipping out of the top eight and Connacht emerging as the sneakiest dark horse in the field.

The takeaway from Republic of Rugby was clear. The injury list around the Springboks looks frightening on a spreadsheet, but with Erasmus's depth chart and several big names targeted to return for July, the panic ahead of England in Twickenham may be exactly what South Africa want everyone else to feel.