'The Attention Is Warranted': Les Kiss on Treyvon Pritchard, the PNG Chiefs Raid and Australian Rugby's Newest Bidding War
Rugby Union|15 May 2026 3 min read

'The Attention Is Warranted': Les Kiss on Treyvon Pritchard, the PNG Chiefs Raid and Australian Rugby's Newest Bidding War

By Rugby News Desk · AI-assisted

Queensland Reds outside back Treyvon Pritchard is at the centre of the most direct cross-code bidding war Australian rugby has faced in years, with PNG Chiefs meeting the 19-year-old and his brother Kaden this week with a tax-exempt salary offer that effectively doubles the NRL cap.

Key Takeaways

  • 1.The 19-year-old, who beat Damian McKenzie down the touchline with a goose-step to score his maiden Super Rugby try against the Chiefs earlier this season, is being targeted by the PNG Chiefs ahead of their 2028 NRL entry.
  • 2.The Wallabies depth chart already lists him as a 2025 World Cup possibility and a near-term call-up candidate.
  • 3.First, it sets up Pritchard's Bledisloe ambition as part of his self-identification as a rugby union player, not a code-flexible athlete.

Queensland Reds outside back Treyvon Pritchard has not yet played a full season of senior professional rugby. He is already at the centre of the most direct cross-code recruitment fight Australian rugby has faced in years.

The 19-year-old, who beat Damian McKenzie down the touchline with a goose-step to score his maiden Super Rugby try against the Chiefs earlier this season, is being targeted by the PNG Chiefs ahead of their 2028 NRL entry. The expansion franchise is meeting Pritchard and his brother Kaden this week with an offer that, because of PNG's tax-exempt status, effectively doubles the NRL salary cap on a like-for-like basis. ESPN reported the approach on Thursday and described it as one half of a broader recruitment threat Rugby Australia is now contending with simultaneously.

Reds head coach and incoming Wallabies boss Les Kiss did not push back on the level of interest. 'The attention is warranted, that's for sure,' Kiss said. He went further on his appraisal of the player. 'He's a superb young man, so coachable, great in the locker room, and to boot he's bloody good on the footy pitch.'

The player himself has consistently framed his ambitions around the green and gold. In a pre-season interview, Pritchard pointed to the same fixture every young Australian back gets asked about. 'I think from a young age I'd always watch the Wallabies versus All Blacks,' he said. 'Growing up in Australia that's something that I want to aspire to.'

That statement matters for two reasons. First, it sets up Pritchard's Bledisloe ambition as part of his self-identification as a rugby union player, not a code-flexible athlete. Second, it gives Rugby Australia a public marker to point to whenever it lobbies World Rugby for stronger transfer-fee mechanisms — exactly the lobbying RA has been conducting for the better part of a year.

The Chiefs play their own card cleanly. PNG's geographic proximity to north Queensland — the franchise is based 150km from the Australian coast — collapses the relocation argument. The tax-exempt salary structure handles the money side. And the franchise's incoming 2028 NRL window aligns with Pritchard's existing Reds contract, which expires at the end of next season. The Reds and the Wallabies both know the timing.

Kaden Pritchard's inclusion in the conversation matters too. Sibling double-signings are one of the quietest competitive advantages in modern recruitment, and the PNG Chiefs are pitching a family relocation, not an individual move. RA's counter to a family move is harder to write on a board.

The broader picture, as ESPN framed it, is that this is the second high-profile Australian retention battle inside three months. Massimo De Lutiis, the uncapped Wallaby prop also at the Reds, was the subject of an Ulster approach earlier in the year before signing a two-year extension with Australian rugby. Under current rules, the Reds would have received roughly $48,000 in transfer compensation had De Lutiis moved, against an estimated contract value of around $500,000. RA chief executive Phil Waugh, head of high performance Peter Horne and chief financial officer Richard Gardham have all been pushing internally and at World Rugby for that mechanism to be revisited.

For Pritchard, the immediate decision sits inside his next 12 months. The Reds want him committed long-term. The Wallabies depth chart already lists him as a 2025 World Cup possibility and a near-term call-up candidate. Kiss, who will hand the Reds back to a successor and take over the national side over the next year, has the most direct lever to keep him: a Test cap, in green and gold, before the PNG Chiefs offer can close.

The attention, as Kiss put it, is warranted. The next move is Rugby Australia's.